International Peace Bureau, 1891-1951 (Sub-Fonds)

Archive plan context

 

Information on identification

Title:International Peace Bureau
Creation date(s):1891 - 1951
Level:Sub-Fonds
 

Information on extent

Archival Material Types:Paper File(s) / Document(s)
Running meters:39.00
 

Information on context

Name of the creator / provenance:Secretariat of the International Peace Bureau
Administration history:The International Peace Bureau (IPB) was officialy founded in 1891 at the International Peace Congress in Rome as a result of the report of the Commission appointed the previous year by the London Congress. Its Statutes were approved and its first Council elected in August 1892. Frederik Bajer of Denmark became its first President. The seat of the Bureau was initially located in Bern ; as a consequence of the foundation of the League of Nations it was moved to Geneva in 1924. After World War II the IPB split and was eventually disbanded in 1959. Meanwhile, a group of reformers founded the International Liaison Committee of Organizations for Peace (ILCOP) in 1949, which later took up again the name of the IPB. The Office was reopened in 1964.

The IPB served as the Permanent Secretariat to the Universal Congresses. Besides acting as liaison between various peace organizations, the Bureau assembled a valuable specialized library and published a considerable number of pamphlets, periodicals and books.
Archival history:From 1891 to 1906, Elie Ducommun was Honorary Secretary-General of the Bureau, followed by Albert Gobat, who held this position until his death in 1914. Henry Golay was head of the office from 1914 to 1950. Under their administration the Registry and the collection of documents was set up. The state of order of the IPB Archives can be divided into to parts : the papers covering the pre-war period till 1914 and the second part containing all the assembled records covering the period 1914-1951.
Source of transfer:The International Union of Peace Societies, of which IPB was the Secretariat, was dissolved by a decision of the Swiss Federal Tribunal on 18 June 1959. In 1961, the Swiss Government permanently deposited the IPB library and archives at the Library of the United Nations Office at Geneva.
 

Conditions of access and use

Access regulations:Open to research
Language:German
French
English
 

Usage

End of term of protection:12/31/1951
Permission required:None
Physical Usability:Without limits
Accessibility:Public
 

URL for this unit of description

URL:http://biblio-archive.unog.ch/detail.aspx?ID=311
 
Home|Login|